Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chicken Soup ala Renee

Renee makes an awesome chicken soup, probably the best I've ever had. I finally got around to asking her for the recipe, and I've been making it with good results. So, I thought I'd share the recipe. It's super-easy! Did I mention that it's gluten free and allergen free too? None of the big 8 allergens are in this soup!

Ingredients:
1 chicken carcass
1 TBSP Salt
Water
1 Onion
Veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, really whatever you've got is fine. The last batch I made, I used a package of frozen broccoli & cauliflower.)
2 Tsp black pepper
1 tsp parsley flakes

Instructions:
1. Put your chicken carcass in a big pot and cover with water. Add 1 TBSP salt and veggies. Put your pot on the stove and bring the contents to a boil.
2. Lower temp to a simmer and simmer for 2 hours uncovered.
3. Get out a plate, cutting board, or I use a cookie sheet. Pull out all of the chicken bones and set it on the plate. Walk away and let it cool for a while. Then put the meat back in the soup and discard the bones.
4. Add your parsley and black pepper. Taste the soup. Does it taste good? Too weak, simmer for longer. Too strong, add some water and simmer for longer.
5. Serve it up. Hooray, you've made chicken soup with no cans!

When I make it, the soup serves around 8, so I have lots of leftovers. I portion it up into containers that I freeze (you can only keep leftovers in the refrigerator for three days - that's it), and then when I want "fast food," I can heat up the leftovers in the microwave. If you don't have a microwave, it would be easy enough to heat up the leftovers on the stove too.

I served my soup for dinner with gluten free biscuits made from Gluten Free Bisquick. I substituted Ener-G egg substitute for eggs, rice milk for milk, and vegan shortening for butter. Yes, they still turned out good. Perhaps, if you didn't typically eat gluten free, you wouldn't like them, but I live with a fairly lengthy list of allergies. If you didn't want to deal with all that, you could serve it with a side of rice.

5 comments:

Anna said...

That sounds really good. You're basically making your own stock when simmering for a long time, so all those veggie and chicken flavors concentrate and create deliciousness. And, you can even use it when making rice instead of water (minus the meat). :) I just tried it the other day and it worked out really well. No need to add extra salt to rice or other flavorings.

Lynn Peterson said...

So silly question, when making soup, how do you get all of the bones out? I always miss some small bones.

Anna said...

One option would be to use a spider, a particular spoon: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_%28utensil%29) or a slotted spoon.
You could also probably pick them out one by one when transferring from pan to storage containers. But this option would be time consuming. How small are the bones? Do they have meat on them or has the meat fallen off?

Lynn Peterson said...

They are really teeny tiny bones. I usually don't find them until they are in my mouth. I think they don't have meat on them. I will try the spider tool and see if that helps the next time I make soup.

Chris said...

Lynn, thanks for sharing the soup recipe. I just made it today and added in some white rice and diced potatoes. It was delicious!
-Chris