Friday, September 26, 2008

I hate stumps!

I cut down these ridiculously ugly bushes in front of my house. Mostly I did it because they greatly reduced the visibility along the steps leading up to my h0use, making it very easy to trip! Cutting them down was difficult but not impossible. I used a chainsaw and loppers. It took a few days, but I was happy to see them gone, and I cannot wait to replace them with something pretty! My only stumbling block is the stumps they left behind.

I don't want to use one of those stump-dissolving chemicals because that would take a long time. I thought I could cut down at least to the ground with my sawzall, but no luck there. I saw a site online that suggested using a spade to dig a trench around the stump and then using a landscaping bar to break up the roots and lever up the stump. So, I went to the local hardware store to buy a landscaping bar. The trouble... Yes there was trouble. I couldn't lift any of the landscaping bars there! Ugh! So I couldn't even purchase a landscaping bar, let alone whack at roots with it.

So I'm at an impasse. I will probably hire somebody to come in and remove the stumps for me. Grr though because I'd really like to be self-sufficient in this matter and remove the stumps myself.

My inability to remove stumps also presents me with an expensive problem. I have a yard full of unwanted, ugly, and overgrown bushes. I could cut them all down, but I'd still be left with the stumps which would just regrow ugly bushes!

No comments: