Thursday, December 4, 2008

Gas and Snacks

Here's another weird thing I am wondering about. So where I live, gas is down to $1.74. Whoo Hoo! Yay. Do you think that now that gas prices are less, people will buy more snacks at the gas station?

I read or heard somewhere that gas stations make most of their money on snacks and stuff sold inside of the gas station, rather than from gas. If gas costs less, are you more likely to buy a candy bar than if it costs more?

I think so for most people, but even when gas prices were so high this past summer, I still bought snacks. The difference between this summer and now is huge though, even with my 10 gallon gas tank. $4.25 a gallon translates to over $42 a fill up. And $1.74 a gallon translates to $17.40, so that's a big difference.

I'm glad my car isn't bigger though. I know a woman who drives a Suburban, and she was paying over $100 a fill up this summer. I could not have afforded that! Although a Suburban isn't exactly in my budget either... I'll keep my Civic with it's 36 miles per gallon average for city and highway. (I calculate my gas mileage periodically.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how the prices have dropped on gas. Out here (in Milwaukee) the prices are around $1.64 or so. Also, did the price of snacks go up? I never buy snacks so I'm not sure.

Lynn Peterson said...

I have not noticed an increase in the prices of candy bars, pretzels, or soda, my mainstays of snacks.