Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Easy Freezer Chicken

Craig and I eat a lot of chicken, primarily boneless, skinless chicken breasts. And really they are not that exciting. I am also always looking for ways to make cooking easier. So here's my method for making tasty chicken breasts.
  1. Get a family-sized package of boneless skinless chicken breasts (not frozen - this is important)
  2. Set out a bunch of freezer bags. For five breasts, I set out five bags.
  3. Butterfly the breasts so you get two pieces of chicken and cut off the bits of fat. I figure that is approximately a portion for each person (there are only two of us).
  4. Thouroughly coat the chicken pieces in spices. I use a variety of dry spices. But some of my favorites are Jerk and Rotisserie.
  5. Put each butterflied and spiced breast in a bag, label it, and stick it in the freezer.
  6. When the chicken freezes, the spices get sucked into the meat and embue it with flavor.
Now, when it's time to make dinner, you can pull a bag out of the freezer and cook the chicken. I typically use my George Foreman Grill for this, but in the summer, I'd use my gas grill. It's just too cold now to even consider outdoor grilling. You could also cook them in a pan with olive oil or Pam spray.

Last night, we had curry spiced chicken breasts with peas and rice. Very simple very tasty.

No comments: